Thursday, June 10, 2010

Week 2, Post 4

My first day on the kill floor was today. I have to say that up until last night I wasn't too nervous about it, but more anxious that I would be effective and safe. I was pretty nervous this morning, however, once people started showing up and I realized how little slaughter experience I have had before now.

I credit some of the co-workers and my advisors for making the learning process so much more accelerated. Quickly I was able to fit into the stunning and bleeding stage, and I was able to add my sheep experience to the mix to help sort the sheep smoothly. Frankly, I thought it went pretty well for my first day and I have to say that after doing stunning myself, there is little excuse for some of the videos I've seen online of people failing to do this correctly. I was properly trained, and capable of doing it within 20-30 minutes of being on the kill floor. Knock on wood, I made no stunning mistakes this morning and will plan on continuing in that trend.

All-in-all, this is not something I would want to do as a profession, but it definitely something I think I can be good at. I just need a lot of practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment